Do we have to understand movies?
by Daniel Hui
The Spirit of the Beehive
A few days ago I just realized it's been only a short 3 years since I went hardcore on movies. This comes because recently I've been reading some film criticsm and re-thinking what brings me back to film time after time, when I'd previously flitted here and there from art form to art form like a fickle lover. I can't say. I can't say exactly what film means to me either, or what approach of film criticism is the 'right' approach.
It used to be that I thought film could change people's lives. I still think so, actually, but not as much. Be it as it may, film is a medium that, too often, manipulates people around, and often to prove a point. Even Yasujiro Ozu, one of the greatest directors, is a master (and subtle) manipulator, twiddling the audience (very often cruelly) round his fingertips. Although most of his films urge an acceptance of loss and regret at the end, it is never without the trauma of a (concocted) social realism that the audience has to go through first before reaching to that conclusion - leading me to think if ever a manipulator (albeit a fine one) of people on the whole can be regarded as the greatest human alive (if one were to allow film that status).
I think my recent re-evaluation on my film fanaticism can be attributed to three things: the writing of my own screenplay, the recent viewing of what I consider the greatest film I have seen as yet (Werner Herzog's very recent The White Diamond, more on that another time), and the movies that I gravitate to of late. Since I am not a critic by profession and the 'right way to see movies' is not imperative thinking, it is the geek's own responsibility unto himself to rethink what he's spending so much of his life on.
Peter Greenaway said that film is too important to be wasted on telling stories, and that set me off thinking. Not that I'm a huge Greenaway fan, but I'm beginning to see the futility in storytelling for many films. All narrative-driven films seek to exploit (some more clumsily than others, is that how critics separate the good from the bad?) the audience's emotions. Most of us are privvy to that exploitation, but why do we go back to that again and again, and subject ourselves to the strings of a puppeteer when we have our own uncontrollable lives? Discounting the need for entertainment is stupid of course, and there can definitely be a convergence of art and entertainment. But when entertainment wants to be serious art - as is the case of many movies coming out of left-Hollywood of late - where does art end and politics (both human and social) begin? We all know the effects of Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will, do we allow movies to encroach into those boundaries to triumph our own political leanings? And what can this mean to film geeks who only quote directors by their last names?
And I've not come to my point yet. Recently I saw Victor Erice's The Spirit of the Beehive, which has haunted me since I saw it a few weeks ago. I think it is one of the 'big' films in my life that I think is truly great and I love, but I didn't understand it at all, and, most importantly, I realize I don't want to. The same goes for Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai, Andrei Tarkovsky's Mirror etc. Mirror has absolutely no narrative at all, and I am never completely sure what Melville is trying to say at any one point of Le Samourai. And here, I wish to pose the million dollar: Must movies be understandable for them to have value?
By the word 'understand,' I don't just mean to understand their narratives or characters, but also what the creators are getting at, to the extent of what feeling you're supposed to feel at any one point of the movie. Critics nowadays (the quotable ones at least) assign a value to everything (and it is their job, admittedly), 'Two thumbs up!' if not 'Haunting!' 'Devastating!' 'Hilarious!'. But what are these adjectives and how do they relate to the importance of cinema in our lives?
Of course I must say, this is not completely unrelated to the reactions I got out of my screenplay, to which people often tell me the characters/narrative/my intentions are completely incomprehensible. Being politically correct, I have to 'listen' and 'accept' their criticisms, but all I really wanted to say is 'So what?' Why do movies need to be any of these? Why do movies have to be defineable, and, why do people need to be able to have some sort of exegesis to like or love a movie? And here I'd like to include a quote from Flannery O'Connor regarding the Mystery that I'm attracted to in fiction: 'The serious fiction writer will think that any story that can be entirely explained by the adequate motivation of the characters or by a believable imitation of a way of life or by a proper theology, will not be a large enough story for him to occupy himself with. This is not to say that he doesn't have to be concerned with adequate motivation or accurate reference or a right theology; he does; but he has to be concerned with them only because the meaning of his story does not begin except at a depth where these things have been exhausted. The fiction writer presents mystery through manners, grace through nature, but when he finishes, there always has to be left over that sense of Mystery which cannot be accounted for by any human formula.'
Until recently I'd found myself emphasizing on narrative/intent and the comprehensibility of a movie, and I don't seek to claim any moral edge or superiority to this argument (there are, after all, so many different ways of seeing a movie and no rule), but just to pose these questions, and maybe also as a better way of clearing through my thoughts and 'evolving' in hitherto embarrassingly short career as a film buff. As I see myself, the need to understand movies comes from our very bourgeois thinking, as film buffs, to assign a value to every movie we see. It's almost as if we don't deem a 'like/dislike,' 'good/bad,' or any darn adjective a critic might use to a movie we've seen, we would've wasted our time seeing it and there's no justification or vindication for ourselves. The thing about art (if the movies aspire to be an art form, that is) is that the fact that it has been created is reason enough for its existence. Art is its own raison d'etre, and is its own answer to the perennial annoying question 'Why should art exist?' Whether we like or dislike an artpiece is immaterial and completely irrelevant to anything in the universe.
What then is our duty as film buffs? As purveyors and appreciators of haute culture? Here's something for me to ponder over the next few days.

16 Comments:
Films must connect.
Real critics don't say things like "Two thumbs up!", "Fantastic!", "A must-see!".
They use big words like "mise en scene", "gestalt" and "dichotomy".
Yeah, but how do films connect? Especially when you can't see through the 'gestalt?'
Like the masters that belong to the 'visual' class..I think it's quite mystifying on its own to say that one is moved by the mise-en-scene of a film. By saying 'mise-en-scene' itself, one is already admiring rather than feeling.
I would say the 'spirituality' or 'truth' is what does it in a film, but then again those are also big pretentious words that I have no idea of defining. In defining these, are we then - by using technicalities or definitions - restricting ourselves from any real criticism of film? Or are those undefineable big words a necessary evil in putting that sense of wonder to words? Hmm..
Or maybe I just don't get films (or criticism) at all.
Don't think so much. Just watch and enjoy. Thats the best thing you can do for yourself.
"don't think so much"
thats the worst thing anyone could do while watching a film.
thats why films like Pirates Of The Caribbean can make so much money, while something like Gosford Park does not draw the crowds.
the best critiques are not those that talk technique, but those that seek the "truth" in the story and how well the filmmaker brings that out. it encompasses philosophy, psychology, etc, and not just film technique.
How well the filmmaker brings that out is still technique, maybe. Maybe things like the elusive 'truth' are the 'mystery' that we (critics, audiences, and even filmmakers themselves) can never understand, and are not meant to.
aren't we all just telling stories?
"i met someone, felt inexplicably fond of him, his pirate smile, his crooked teeth, and all that was assymetrical about him. i want to have his children. i want them all to have crooked teeth. but there's just one snag. nay, two. he was gay, and i've reached my menopause."
stories. just stories.
not just on film, but in poetry, and in novels, paintings, songs, even instrumental ones (the 2nd movement of mozart's clarinet concerto in 'A' tells a story of farewell to me), and, hell, even history books and holy books.
stories, and only stories.
in conversations, in arguments, in gossips, advice, rebuke, cajoling, whispering, confession boxes.
stories.
and not just spoken, or played on an instrument, or painted on canvas, but in nature. a drizzle tells a different story than a storm. a cat purring rouses different feelings than a cat hissing and spitting. a yelp says something different from a snarl.
stories, stories, stories.
and so film. my answer, then, is no, a film does not have to be understood, just felt. and if a film, or a painting, or a piece of music, or a piece of gossip makes you feel nothing, you move on. no need to dissect the why's and the wherefore's.
just move on. onto a different story...
But first, the script has to be comprehensible so that the assistant director, the production crew, the actors, investors and all involved know what they are getting themselves into.
"What then is our duty as film buffs?" To keep watching and to keep talking. To share this love with anyone willing. To fear not people's criticism on your views of this love. To find your own groove. To reconcile with the impossibility of winning everyone over. To believe that sometimes love for movies (or anything else for that matter) may better be felt than put to words (as I have been gradually lamenting these days, words fail me and words get in the way). To figure out its relative importance to your own life, and hence to move on or to stay put. To realise who you are determine what you are willing to do in the name of love. To not have this love be burdened by "duty", because love, even if unrequited, defeatist, or too irrational for those needing answers badly, may actually be, purely, unconditionally, a leap of faith. But that's just me.
if you dont learn to dissect a movie, then if you love a particular movie to death, and someone asks you why you love it so much, if you cannot answer dat feller, die man!!!
i love the sound of rain at night. i love the warm lights in the cafe in van gogh's "starry night". i love the flavour of soy sauce and white pepper over half-boiled eggs. i love the loose shot of children heading for school at the end of "tokyo story", played out to the sound of children singing. and i love daniel hui's fangs when his face breaks out into a wide smile.
if i tried to dissect any of the above, my love for it would diminish a little, and in the end, i would understand nothing anyway.
hmm, you forgot one thing. ozu has issues of bread and butter to see to. he works for a company. he has to pay his bills.
- I'm beginning to see the futility in storytelling for many films. etc etc It used to be that I thought film could change people's lives...
u r right of course, welcome to the club. ;)
yes, films are enjoyable. but they not gonna to change someone's lives. not the way u think, and they certainly don't need that function.
certainly not narrative films.
remember 15. i'm personally disgusted how anyone can make this film allowing someone to slit his wrist while making 'great art'. i am well n truly disgusted.
did the film do anything for the boys.
not really. but it sure make royston quite famous.
at least lotr dont aspire to such heights.
i'll be very happy if a film can provoke a thought, just a simple idea, that never go into my head before.
films are fundamentally deceitful. it is a sleigh-of-hand. it creates an illusion, uses editing, sound etc. it uses cuts, framing. it is 24fps, not 60i, which is arguably closer the real life. it depends on the visual effect. things in films happen so fast - too fast to be realistic.
but you should already know that when eisenstein cut battleship potemkin. ;)
- I didn't understand it at all, and, most importantly, I realize I don't want to
really
when you love something it has already made a connection w you, good enough for me
you have years to find out why you do or dont
- It's almost as if we don't deem a 'like/dislike,' 'good/bad,' or any darn adjective a critic might use to a movie we've seen, we would've wasted our time seeing it and there's no justification or vindication for ourselves.
like taking opium...
nothing wrong w saying good/bad etc, but why must u be so obssessed in justifying yourself why you watch a movie
when u watch a movie, u just do, for a variety of reasons
like the plot
like the director
nothing to do
love the actors
keep a friend company etc etc
u are confusing yourself. no wonder movies become a pseudo-intellectual exercise
also, a critic is just... an occupation.
'ozu has issues of bread and butter to see to. he works for a company. he has to pay his bills.'
'also, a critic is just... an occupation.'
Every job in the world has passionate people. Only film (and probably other art forms) has people not in its field spending large amounts of money and time on it. If it's not your job, why waste your time? Why not...have sex instead? It's free, at least (most of the time).
'u are confusing yourself. no wonder movies become a pseudo-intellectual exercise'
Pseudo-intellectual? I think being entertained in itself entails using one's intellect.
'Only film (and probably other art forms) has people not in its field spending large amounts of money and time on it. '
hello, do we live in the same universe?
titanic cost us$200 million
crouching tiger's us$15 million is called by some a 'low-budget production'
homerun cost s$1.5 million
be with me s$200,000
Truffaut's 400 blows, a film using first-time kid actors, cost us$70,000 in 1959. inflation adjusted, that is us$450,000 today
do these seem cheap to you?
how long did 2046 take?
even if he were to shoot w/o cuts, ozu's film stock n post-production would have cost at least s$1 million today, counting inflation
not to mention Chishu Ryu n Setsuko Hara's salaries
surely they need to feed their families?
on the other hand all leonardo da vinci needed was a poplar board, some brushes, oil pigments n inspiration to paint mona lisa. all which adds to say, about s$200 (counting inflation)
sure critics can love their jobs, but you dont suppose they enjoy every single thing they do?
the fact you have to catch hundreds of movies a year, many of them garbage, is enough to turn many reviewers off
not to mention potshots from readers' hate mails
even if you love beethoven the 9th, to listen to it every day would make you jaded at times
there is no job in the world that is pure enjoyment
'If it's not your job, why waste your time? '
a job i mean u get paid (n sacked)for it
indeed. why then do you blog.
--------
'I think being entertained in itself entails using one's intellect.'
i'm saying you need not intellectualise everything, not not to use your brain
unless you are vegetable, you will think, like it or not
you need grey cells to cross the road
but do you need to analyse road situations for hours, draw a map, time the vehicles' velocities then go back n brood days about when and how you can cross ang mo kio, street 23?
'Only film (and probably other art forms) has people not in its field spending large amounts of money and time on it. '
I believe I mean people who are not filmmakers, ie film buffs.
'indeed. why then do you blog.'
'unless you are vegetable, you will think, like it or not'
I think you answered your question for me. I think therefore I am, I blog therefore I think. If my blog is my thinkpiece, then what right have you to tell me what to think?
if these sentences offend you, then substitute 'one' for 'you', like 'indeed. why then does one blog.', 'unless one is vegetable, one will think, like it or not'
i'm a forthright person, i speak what i think.
let me sum up. i was just telling you ozu has to make films in a certain way given his circumstances and social situation. that was in reaction to you asking why ozu films do not function like, say, tarkovsky's or erice's.
to some filmmakers, the availability of funds - or lack thereof - are real issues and your works are shaped by them.
i've reread your post and realise you were just trying to determine your role as a film buff. as far as that i have misunderstood you.
maybe, since you don't want to find out exactly why or how to understand movies, the next best thing would be to enjoy the show.
'i'm a forthright person, i speak what i think.'
'i've reread your post and realise you were just trying to determine your role as a film buff. as far as that i have misunderstood you.
maybe, since you don't want to find out exactly why or how to understand movies, the next best thing would be to enjoy the show.'
What offends me mostly is not much your 'forthrightness' but your coming to a personal blog to dictate what I should or shouldn't do (or at least, that's how I see it. Correct me if you think I'm wrong). More importantly my post was written as a way to invite discourse, not sarcastic criticism. I wasn't writing about things I know, I was writing about things I don't know to help me sort out my thoughts.
'let me sum up. i was just telling you ozu has to make films in a certain way given his circumstances and social situation. that was in reaction to you asking why ozu films do not function like, say, tarkovsky's or erice's.
to some filmmakers, the availability of funds - or lack thereof - are real issues and your works are shaped by them.'
But Tarkovsky and Erice too have investors to answer to. Tarkovsky, in particular, was not much different from Ozu, in that he was making films for the major studio MosFilm.
Post a Comment
<< Home