Eight Below
by Jeffrey Koh
Fresh off his frantic role in the saucy and gory Running Scared, Paul Walker calms down visibly in the PG-rated Eight Below. Heading an eclectic cast of humans and animals, Walker fits in nicely as the expedition guide of a scientific research team stationed in Antarctica. Due to a heavy snow storm and the approaching winter season, Walker is forced to abandon his eight ruskies aiding him over the years. He finds out too late that he will be separated from his dogs for longer than he intended. Wrecked with desperation and guilt (the man had earlier strapped all the ruskies down on leash, thinking he would be back for them shortly), the rest of the film splinters between the dogs' struggle to survive the harsh Antarctic conditions and the helpless Walker trying his best to fund his trip back to rescue and reclaim his faithful snow dogs.
The film does a good job in introducing this tenacious brood of canines prior to the film's tragic developments. We are suitably thrilled to see them pulling sleds on a mission in which Walker is tasked to escort a scientist (Bruce Greenwood) on a research trip. Despite the myriad troubles along the way, the dogs do an outstanding job and manage to bring back the guys alive. Alas, their achievement are brushed aside (sensibly) when push comes to shove in prioritising the emergency evacuation of the research team.
Oh my, what will happen to those cute ruskies? We don't wanna scare off shaken children and their weeping parents with eight dead carcasses now, do we? Worry not, for this is a Disney movie. Hence, glowing charms and winning balm will blanket any tiny tragedies strewn along the way. The triumphant spirit of men (or men's best friends) will always endure and be rousingly celebrated. Without a doubt, there will be a happy ending. So sit back, relax and enjoy the movie. I know I did. In fact, I enjoyed this picture enough to want to further expand my thoughts on it. Beneath its benign veneer, I do think Eight Below offers insights worth pondering over.
After the film, I perused the internet for some post-movie reading pleasure and to my surprise, I realised I'm in the minority here, for I fancy the human story more than the canine one. I find myself strongly empathising with Paul Walker's character. Walker is one of the most conscientious young actors working in Hollywood today. Unfortunately, he is also hampered by his chiselled good looks, as most critics equate matinee idol visage as an inability to emote. However, Walker is less emotive than most actors because he is more behavioural. And it is in his behaviour that I managed to feel the saddening desperation of his campaigns. As can be seen in the bureaucratic offices and the scientist portrayed by Bruce Greenwood, few can or are willing to understand that these dogs are family to him. People may laugh him off as a silly chap embarking on a futile mission to save some dogs. Despite the ridicule, he doggedly marches on, for they are not just some dogs. They are the very foundation which keeps his drifting life anchored. Realistically, this film also acknowledges that sooner or later, he may have to give up his pursuit. And he does, for a while.
In one scene, the film uses a cinematic shorthand of a dejected Walker returning to an Oregon trailer as a telling illustration of the man - alone, without familial attachment and out of his elements when returning home. His only true "home" is not in Oregon or Antarctica, but likely anywhere he can roam with his beloved huskies. His angst and despair evoked at this point of the movie is palpable, giving a sense that his resigned solitude will almost be certain.
Thankfully, it takes another dog-loving friend (arguably presented here as a loner too) to impart some much welcomed wisdom - whether it be as an act of respect, a reciprocation of love or a show of gratitude, it is always important to reclaim your loved ones, no matter whether they are dead or alive. The man hence resumes his pursuit, ever determined to do the right thing. It is actually through this heartening "expedition" that Paul accepts a simple truth - he must open himself up to love from those around him. He realises that he is capable of not just receiving love, but giving it too.
Wait a minute, it's still just some dogs, dammit! If you have read this far and still think it's exceedingly silly for a man to go all out for some huskies, then I think nothing much I say will matter. So here goes. I am suddenly reminded (damn my free associative mind) of the first segment of If These Walls Could Talk 2, whereby Vanessa Redgrave's lesbian lover dies on her. She helplessly witnesses as the property they shared is legally transferred to her lover's next of kin, an opportunistic nephew. The silent aching on her face speaks a thousand words of sorrow, and the power of the scene unintentionally renders the next two segments of that movie redundant.
The societal definition of kinship will never be all-inclusive, as love comes in different shades and colours. Love is beyond definition. I for one cannot understand pet lovers. We have to endure enough joys and grief with human loved ones, so why should we subject ourselves to such emotional extremes with some other species? Then I consider the possibilities - those who are brought up in loving families and hence have lots of love to give; those who no longer have anyone else to turn to but pets to share their joys and grief. The permutations in between are endless. I realise I need not understand how others practice their love, I just need to consider whether I have done good in mine. One man's fight for his eight dogs taught me this much. There is hope for Disney-esque movies after all.
Labels: disney

2 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home